HERE Studies – Preparational Studies for Refugees
HERE Studies prepares refugees for university studies in Bremen and Bremerhaven. It offers language and study preparation courses and is designed to provide a foundation for successfull university studies.
Learn German and Discover our Universities
Reading scientific texts, writing seminar papers, communicate in an academic world.
HERE Studies offers German language up to level C1 and fundamental and subject-specific preparation. You will learn German in small groups trained by highly qualified teachers. Beside that you will gain in workshops key-qualifications like literature research, scientific writing and time management. HERE-Studies is exclusivly for refugees. If you have further questions please feel free to contact us. We speak German, English, Arabic, Turkish, Kurdish and Spanish.
You can also fill in this form and register your interest. Thereby we can guide you through the application process.
What does HERE Studies offer?
For admission to studies you need a solid language preparation. German language on the level of C1 is the starting point for successfull studies.
- Counselling service for studies in Bremen and Bremerhaven
- German language A2 to C1
- Subject specific preparation
- Methodological preparation
- Preparation for the Bremen Universities Entrance Exam
- Plausibility check for missing educational documention
Who can participate?
- Refugees with at least a higher secondary degee that allows admission to German universities
- Refugees without documentation of their qualification
- Refugees residing in Bremen and Bremerhaven and the Landkreise (counties) Ammerland, Aurich, Brake, Cloppenburg, Cuxhaven, Diepholz, Leer, Nienburg, Oldenburg, Osterholz-Scharmbeck, Rotenburg/Wümme, Stade, Vechta, Verden, Westerstede, Wittmund sowie den kreisfreien Städten Delmenhorst, Oldenburg, Wilhelmshaven
1. Online Registrationmore details
2. TestASmore details
Test for Academic Studies
TestAS is a central standardised aptitude test for foreign students. That can be done in German or English language. TestAS gives prospective students information about their individual ranking compared to other applicants. TestAS is crucial for admission to HERE Studies.
TestAS is conducted in German or English. For a reasonable result, we recommend a language level of at least B1.
TestAS liable to costs.
3. uni-assist Evaluationmore details
uni-assist evaluates if your qualification provides you higher education access. You need this evaluation as well as TestAS to apply for HERE Studies. You only need to upload you documents. Currently, no certified copies have to be handed in.
At uni assist you have to choose Universität Bremen and as course of study one of the the following
- HERE GKG
- HERE ING
- HERE MIN
- HERE WIWI
You will receive a "Vorprüfungs-Dokumentation" (VPD) = Evaluation by uni-assist. If you have this already for the University of Bremen you do not need to do this a second time.
4. Admissionmore details
The ranking for admission is based the TestAS results and places availiable. The steering commission is responsible for the selection.
5. Course Start – HERE Studiesmore details
Language courses start four times a year on different levels. Given you have already passed the required certificate, you can apply for these courses:
- April – A1 certificate needed
- July – A2 certificate needed
- September – B1 certificate needed
- January – B2 certificate needed
If you have already passed the C1 certificate, you can apply for the curricular preparation course starting in March.
Please find the application periods above.
What does HERE Studies cost?
The HERE Studies courses are free of charge. During the preparation Refugees can recieve financial support by social security offices. For details please contact the apprpriate office .
There are some foundations who support refugees for studies: www.stipendienlotse.de
What is the content of the program?
HERE Studies contain three major areas: Language learning, HERE Mentoring and extracurricular courses as well as curricular courses preparing for the chosen study program.
The German language is the core skill and - depeng on your start level - probably will be the largest part of your preparation. Beside the in class courses a tutoring and extra activities will be provided by the Language Center FZHB.
The HERE Mentoring provides regional and cultural studies, general information on the program and the universities. Additionally you will take part in intercultural trainings and seminars on study technics.
All courses are mandatory and HERE Studies is a full time program.